Grilled Italian Sausage with Sweet ‘n Sour Peppers
Grilled Italian Sausage with Sweet 'n Sour Peppers. Love Italian sausage, I tried it using regular bell peppers, & also grilling onions. Made for a terrific sub sandwich, along with some melted Italian cheese on top! :) — Nancy
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 medium green bell peppers, cut in quarters and seeded
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut in quarters and seeded
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 tablespoon Bertolli® Classico Olive Oil
- 2 packages (19 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Mild Italian Sausage
- 3 tablespoons Italian salad dressing
- 1 roll prepared polenta, sliced into ½ inch rounds (10 to 12 slices)
- In a small non-stick skillet cook and stir almonds for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden.
- Stir in raisins and remove from heat. Let stand for 1 minute.
- Carefully stir in vinegar, sugar, salt and black pepper.
- Return to medium-low heat, cook and stir just until sugar is dissolved, 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine red and green peppers and onion wedges. Drizzle with Bertolli® Classico Olive Oil; toss gently to coat.
- Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill sausages and vegetables uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes until sausages are firm, no longer pink inside and juices run clear (180°F),and vegetables are tender, turning at least once halfway through grilling.
- While sausages and vegetables are grilling, brush slices of polenta with Italian dressing and grill about 2 minutes on each side allowing enough time for the slices to become toasted and golden.
- Return the grilled vegetables to the large bowl, add the almond mixture; toss gently to coat.
- Arrange the sausages on a large platter with the grilled polenta and the sweet and sour peppers.