Fried Green Tomato & Sausage with Pimento Cheese Panini
awesome lunchwich. I am a big Johnsonville lover and a midwesterner so the fried green tomatoes make this ! I tried one half with the pimento cheese spread and one half with sweet honey mustard, liked both and next I'm trying queso cheese on it ! — D. Lowe
- 1 package (14 ounces) Johnsonville® Smoked Brat or Johnsonville® New Orleans cut lengthwise
- 4 sliced green tomatoes
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- 8 slices of bread
- Melted butter
- 1 recipe pimento cheese
- Pimento Cheese :
- 1 package (8-ounce) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimientos; drained
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 ounces cream cheese; softened
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste
- In a medium size bowl, add all pimento cheese ingredients; mix together and set aside.
- Preheat Panini press or skillet.
- Slice tomatoes ¼-in. thick; soak in buttermilk.
- In a wide shallow dish, mix flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper.
- Pull tomato slices out of buttermilk and dredge them in cornmeal mixture.
- Fry tomato slices in oil over medium heat until golden brown on both sides; set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Use pastry brush to apply melted butter to one side of each bread slice.
- Assemble sandwich; butter side down in pressor skillet. Layer the pimento cheese, sausage, tomatoes, and cheddar cheese.
- Grill in press or skillet about 5-10 minutes; until golden brown.