Cornbread with Italian Hot Ground Sausage and Red Peppers
About this recipe
Cornbread is great on its own, but when it’s backed by Johnsonville, you know it’s truly fantastic! This dish is great for making a morning morsel into a full-on meal. Red bell peppers and cheddar cheese are used to help make this cornbread stand out, but the addition of Johnsonville All Natural Fresh Italian Hot Ground Sausage really elevates the cornbread from ordinary to extraordinary. The heat and flavor of the sausage matches well with the cheese and peppers, giving you a great start to your day.
- 1 package (12 ounce) Johnsonville® All Natural Fresh Italian Hot Ground Sausage
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, cook and crumble sausage until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in sausage, red bell pepper and cheese.
- Pour batter into a greased 8-inch square baking pan. Bake at 425°F for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.