Cornbread Stuffing with Caramelized Onions and Sausage
About this recipe
Cornbread is great on its own, but it also makes for a fantastic stuffing base. This Johnsonville creation boosts this great taste by adding in the spice and kick of Andouille Sausage and the subtle sweetness of onions. To make this meal even better, sage and thyme are used for a more complex flavor and intoxicating aroma. Who knew that cornbread could taste this good?
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 package (14 ounces) cornbread stuffing
- 2 packages (13.5 ounces each) Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Andouille Sausage, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a skillet, sauté onion and celery in butter until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer onion mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the cornbread stuffing, Andouille sausage, sage and thyme. Add broth and eggs; stir gently to combine.
- Spoon into a greased 3-qt. or 4-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned and a thermometer reads 160°F.