Corn and Potato Chowder with Hot Italian Sausage
Yummy Soup Great Flavor. I have now made this numerous times and we love it. We don't like hot sausage so we use either mild or sweet, and we like to grind ours as it cooks and goes further plus flavor is better blended. I do use milk with mine and it doesn't seem to make a different. LOVE THIS!! — Flora C
- 1 package (19 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Fresh Italian Hot Sausage Links
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into ¼ inch dice
- 5 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 6 cups (48 ounces) chicken stock
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups half and half (or light cream)
- 3 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped, (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- salt to taste
- 3 green onions, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
- Grill sausage on the Johnsonville Sizzling Sausage Grill (or your favorite cooking method). Let cool slightly; slice sausage into coins.
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter. Add onions and peppers; cook until softened for about 10 minutes.
- Add the flour to the onions, stirring together, and cook another 3 minutes.
- Add the stock, stir frequently and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to med low, add potatoes, and stir to combine.
- Continue cooking over medium heat until the potatoes are tender about 10 to 15 more minutes.
- Add the half and half, corn, thyme and salt. Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally and being careful not to allow it to boil.
- Add the sausage and green onion; simmer for 5 minutes. Serve immediately or reheat when ready to serve with a sprinkling of fresh parsley. Serve in bread bowls, if desired.