Corn and Potato Chowder with Hot Italian Sausage
Yum, yum, yum!. We love this recipe. My husband considers this his comfort food. As a word of advice, boiling this recipe by accident might make the milk go all funny but it still tastes great. — Hana
- 1 package (19 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Fresh Italian Hot Sausage Links
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into ¼ inch dice
- 5 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 6 cups (48 ounces) chicken stock
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups half and half (or light cream)
- 3 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped, (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- salt to taste
- 3 green onions, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
- Grill sausage on the Johnsonville Sizzling Sausage Grill (or your favorite cooking method). Let cool slightly; slice sausage into coins.
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter. Add onions and peppers; cook until softened for about 10 minutes.
- Add the flour to the onions, stirring together, and cook another 3 minutes.
- Add the stock, stir frequently and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to med low, add potatoes, and stir to combine.
- Continue cooking over medium heat until the potatoes are tender about 10 to 15 more minutes.
- Add the half and half, corn, thyme and salt. Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally and being careful not to allow it to boil.
- Add the sausage and green onion; simmer for 5 minutes. Serve immediately or reheat when ready to serve with a sprinkling of fresh parsley. Serve in bread bowls, if desired.