Great fast chili!. Was looking through assorted recipes, but this had the fewest ingredients and cooked the fastest. Changes I made: 1 28oz can of whole Italian tomatoes; used 4 carrots instead of celery because that's what I had; Used maple syrup instead of brown sugar; used whole cumin seeds just because I really like them. Was really surprised it didn't call for any salt, but it didn't need it either (and I use a lot of salt)... It has a bit of a sweet-and-spicy bite to it. Very Good. — Lynn
- 1 pound JOHNSONVILLE® Italian Ground Mild, Sweet or Hot Italian Sausage or 1 package JOHNSONVILLE® Italian Mild, Sweet, or Hot Links, decased.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage and ground beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the onion, celery and garlic. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans, broth, tomato paste, brown sugar, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, cumin and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese if you like and serve immediately.