Chili today . Made this for Super Bowl 2017. Next time I will sauté the onions and celery prior, because they were somewhat crunchy, even after cooking them for the 10 minutes, and simmering all the ingredients for 30 minutes at then end. Overall this chili had a great taste and nice consistancy, not to soupy, not to thick. — Donna
- 1 pound JOHNSONVILLE® Italian Ground Mild, Sweet or Hot Italian Sausage or 1 package JOHNSONVILLE® Italian Mild, Sweet, or Hot Links, decased.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage and ground beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the onion, celery and garlic. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans, broth, tomato paste, brown sugar, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, cumin and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese if you like and serve immediately.