This is always delicious except.... I make this year after year. The only time it wasn't 100% amazing is one time I didn't use Johnsonville Italian Sausage, and used this local butcher shops's italian sausage. It made this chili taste less than par. I will forever stick to the Johnsonville Italian Sausage and this recipe never disappoints! — Christina Jackson
- 1 pound JOHNSONVILLE® Italian Ground Mild, Sweet or Hot Italian Sausage or 1 package JOHNSONVILLE® Italian Mild, Sweet, or Hot Links, decased.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage and ground beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the onion, celery and garlic. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans, broth, tomato paste, brown sugar, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, cumin and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese if you like and serve immediately.