Chicken Sausage and Wild Rice Stuffing with Dried Cherries
About this recipe
As a nice alternative to bread-based stuffing, wild rice is great to use for its distinct flavor and strong association with the autumn harvest. This Johnsonville recipe takes the nutty flavor of wild rice and adds in the delicious sweetness of dried cherries and Apple Chicken Sausage. The sausage really completes the meal, bringing in all the flavors together to create a dish that is a bountiful mix of stunning tastes and textures.
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 12 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Apple Chicken Sausage, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a skillet, sauté onion and celery in butter until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer onion mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the wild rice, sausage and cherries. Add broth and eggs; stir gently to combine.
- Spoon into a greased 3-qt. or 4-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned and a thermometer reads 160°F.