Cedar Planked Paella Kabobs
planks that are. Got the crowd around the pool to ask for more . What a hit !!!! Everyone wanted me to do them again — kenneth moore
Servings6 to 8 servings
- 6 links JOHNSONVILLE® Brats (raw)
- 4 small lobster tails (about one pound total)
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 12 little neck clams (washed and scrubbed)
- SPICE MIX:
- 6 tablespoons Mexican oregano
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- RICE (OPTIONAL):
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 links JOHNSONVILLE® Brats (raw)
- 1 medium sweet white onion
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups short grain rice (I used Aborio)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 large pinch saffron threads
- MEAT: Cut the meat according to the size of the shrimp, which should be left whole. The goal is to get these different kinds of meat to finish cooking at the same time. So, dice lobster into roughly the same size as the shrimp and cut the chicken into slightly smaller sizes. Cut brats (casings on) into about 1 inch pieces.
- SPICE MIX: Mix well and set aside three tablespoons of spice mix for dusting the assembled kabobs prior to cooking.
- Add chicken and spice mix in bowl, coat well then cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- TO ASSEMBLE KABOBS: Skewer meat on metal skewers, placing a chunk of Johnsonville® brat after every third placement. In other words, brat, shrimp, chicken, brat, lobster, chicken, brat, etc... This way, as the goodness in the brat renders down, it will baste the rest of the kabob. Lightly dust the assembled kabobs with the reserved spice mix and refrigerate.
- RICE (OPTIONAL STEPS 5 to 8): In a large pan heat 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil on medium heat, then add 2 chopped Johnsonville® Brats, cases removed and sauté until browned. Remove brats and set aside.
- Make sofrito by adding 1 diced sweet white onion to pan along with one bunch of chopped flat leaf parsley and 4 cloves of minced garlic. Sauté until the onion is transparent, then add one 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes, stir well. Sauté these ingredients until caramelized.
- Slowly add 4 cups of short grain rice (I used Aborio) making sure the grains get coated with sofrito. Then slowly add 6 cups of chicken broth, stirring as liquid is added. Add 1 tablespoon of Asian fish sauce (to compensate for the fact that the shrimp and lobster are not being cooked with the rice).
- Return browned brats and add 1/4 cup frozen peas and a large pinch of saffron threads. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.