- 1 package JOHNSONVILLE® Beer ‘n Brat, removed from casings
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced thin
- 6 100-gram ball of pizza dough
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- Olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups pizza sauce (recipe below)
- PIZZA SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon course ground pepper
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Remove pizza dough from the refrigerator and place on a floured board 2 hours before beginning. Allow the pizza-dough balls to reach room temperature and double in size. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Preheat oven to 450°F for 1 hour before baking for the perfect crispiness.
- Make the Bratzoli stuffing. In a cast-iron pan, crumble the brats and begin to brown over medium heat. When the brats are halfway cooked, move them to one side of the pan and add the onions to the open area. Sauté until the onions are clear and the brats are cooked through. Set aside.
- When the dough is proofed, one ball at a time, stretch or roll it out to 8 to 10 inches. Brush the inside of the dough with olive oil. On one side of the dough, place a piece of provolone cheese, 2 tbsp of pizza sauce, 1⁄6 of the sausage filling and another 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce. Top with another slice of provolone cheese. Place one side over the other and seal the pocket closed. Move dough to a piece of parchment paper. Slice a small hole in the top. Repeat until all 6 dough balls are filled.