About this recipe
A traditional dessert baklava is re-invented with a savory twist with the addition of Johnsonville bratwurst and mustard as the unique foil to the classic honey glaze.
- 1 package Phyllo dough
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 4 Johnsonville Original Bratwurst
- 1 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 2 cups honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- Remove the phyllo dough from the freezer and defrost on the counter for about one hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350. Remove the Johnsonville Original Bratwursts from their casings and cook in a skillet, breaking up the meat to be about the same texture as the chopped nuts.
- Sauté until brats are no longer pink and add the nuts.
- Butter a 9x13 pan (or smaller, just adjust the ingredient amounts) and place in two sheets of phyllo dough, butter, and then place in two more sheets, butter and add two more.
- Add one-third the meat and nut mixture in one layer and repeat the phyllo/butter/filling two more times.
- Add 3 more layers of phyllo with butter on top.
- With a very sharp knife, cut through the Brat-lava in serving size pieces and put the pan in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the Brat-lava is cooking, heat the honey, 3 tablespoons of butter, water and mustard until melted and thick.
- When the Brat-lava is finished pour the syrup all over the top of the pastry. Let cool to room temperature before eating.