Brat and Kraut Strudel
Cocktail Party Smash Hit. First served at a cocktail party where each couple brings an appetizer. We brought the Brat and Kraut Strudel and it vanished well before many of the other appetizers were even tried. It has a great taste and the Brats add the clean taste that completes the kraut. The Best — jim jenkins
- 1 package (19 ounces) JOHNSONVILLE® Beer 'n Bratwurst
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 can (14 ounce) sauerkraut, drained
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 cups Muenster cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Prepare the links according to package instructions. Cool slightly, and then cut into half-moon slices.
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the sausage and sauerkraut heat through.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, garlic, dill and caraway. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spray two baking sheets with non-stick spray. Unfold one sheet of puff pastry on each baking sheet.
- Spread the sour-cream mixture over each pastry sheet to within 1/2 inch of the edge. Spoon the sausage mixture down the center of each pastry sheet.
- Top with cheese. Lightly brush the edges with water. Fold the long pastry side of each sheet over the filling and pinch the ends together to seal.
- With a sharp knife, pierce the strudels to create steam vents. Brush the tops of the strudels with water. Sprinkle with the poppy and sesame seeds.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.