Braised Italian Sausage Stew
Delicious!. I don't cook with barley often, but this makes me want to! I love the sausage as well! Here's my blog post on it: http://heatskitchen.com/2015/08/18/italian-sausage-stew/ — Heather @ Heat's Kitchen
- 1 package (19 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Mild Italian Sausage links, coin sliced
- 2 tablespoons Bertollli® Extra Light in Taste Olive Oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 4 small parsnips, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 8 ounces baby bella or white button mushrooms, halved
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 cups Swiss chard, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup barley, uncooked
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian plum tomatoes, (in juice)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat Bertolli® Extra Light in Taste Olive Oil in pan.
- Add onion; cook 3 minutes or until slightly soft.
- Add sausage links to pan; cook 12 to 14 minutes or until sausage is browned and almost cooked through.
- Transfer sausage links to cutting board and allow them to cool before coin slicing.
- Stir in carrots, parsnips, mushrooms, celery and Swiss chard into the Dutch oven. Add the barley, tomatoes, stock, wine, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add sliced sausage to the pot. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and continue to simmer for up to 1 hour or until the barley is cooked.
- Serve with crusty Italian bread.