Back To Recipe
Bowties with Italian Sausage in a Cream Basil Sauce
Servings4 to 6 servings
Love the cream. This is delicious and a creamy change from straight tomato sauce. My family wants only this sauce for pasta! — Mary
- 1 package (19 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Sweet Italian Sausage Links, removed from casing* (*Cut sausage link end to end, about three-quarters of the way through. Flip sausage link over, grasp casing and pull off.)
- 3 cups bowtie pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped or 28 ounces plum tomatoes (Italian style, drained and coarsely chopped)
- 1-1/2 cups light cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- *garnish with a sprinkle of fresh basil or shaved Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat add decased sausage to skillet and crumble with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Add red pepper flakes and continue sautéing until sausage is no longer pink.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet and continue until onion softens.
- Stir in tomatoes and salt, (if using fresh tomatoes, sauté them for 3 minutes until softened) then add light cream and Parmesan cheese; simmer gently until mixture thickens (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the cooked pasta and basil, and heat through, about 3 minutes.
- If desired, garnish with a sprinkle of fresh basil or shaved Parmesan cheese.