Baked Penne(Latino Inspired)
Yum. This was really good. I stopped after step 7 (tossing it all together) as i have a picky eater who doesn't like melted cheese (I question whether we're related sometimes) but it was still fantastic. The peppers were the right amount of flavor. Went with mild sausage. — Kaley
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 package (16 ounces) JOHNSONVILLE® Ground Hot Italian Sausage or (19 ounces) JOHNSONVILLE® Hot Italian Sausage Links, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small poblano pepper, sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced
- ½ medium onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente doneness; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage in 1 tablespoon olive oil until fully cooked and browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- In a separate skillet, sauté the peppers, onion, and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil until tender. Season with oregano, cumin, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add sausage to the peppers mixture; cook for approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Add pasta; toss to combine.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and remove from heat.
- Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown. Enjoy!