Johnsonville Apple Chicken Sausage and Rice Stuffed Peppers
Looks Great!. I have always wanted to make stuffed peppers and this looks like a great recipe! I'm hoping to make some without the sausage and some with for the the veggie lovers and meat lovers in our family. — Hailey
- 1 cup Mahatma® Jasmine Rice or Mahatma® White Rice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 large red, yellow, or orange bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 package (12 ounce) JOHNSONVILLE® Apple Chicken Sausage , sliced on thin bias
- 1-1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup red apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- Prepare rice according to package directions substituting chicken broth for water.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds and veins. Rub peppers with 1 teaspoon olive oil and slightly salt and pepper the inside.
- Place peppers cut side up in a baking dish. Roast for 30 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Meanwhile heat remaining teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté sausage until lightly browned.
- Add onions and celery and continue to sauté 4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add cranberries, apple, apricots, raisins, sage, and oregano. Cook and stir until fruit is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Fill prepared peppers with sausage/rice mixture.
- Serve immediately.