Back To Recipe
A Match Made In Heaven Manicotti
LOVE IT!. We really love it. — Sassy
- Sweet Potato, Johnsonville Sweet Italian Sausage and Walnut Manicotti Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups JOHNSONVILLE® Sweet Italian Sausage , cooked and crumbled, (drained and cooled)
- 1/2 cup Ricotta cheese, whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups oven roasted sweet potato (peeled, mashed and cooled, about 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup Kraft Shredded Parmesan
- 1/2 cup sweet onion diced (sautéed in a little Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil until transparent, then cooled)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Walnut Basil Cream Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup Finely Shredded Kraft Parmesan Cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh basil
- a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
- JOHNSONVILLE® Hot Italian Sausage and Ricotta Manicotti
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and crumbled JOHNSONVILLE® Hot Italian Sausage (drained and cooled)
- 3/4 cup Whole Milk Ricotta
- 1/4 cup Kraft Shredded Parmesan
- 1/2 cup shredded Provolone
- 1 Beaten Egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Fresh Chopped Basil
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Finely Chopped Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Chopped Italian Parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Fresh Minced or Pressed Garlic, Cooked in a little olive oil until lightly browned
- 6 slices Munster Cheese Sliced in Half
- 2 jars Bertolli Marinara or Homemade Recipe for Red Sauce as Listed below
- 1 package Manicotti Pasta (about 14to 16 manicotti in each Package) Boiled per instructions, rinsed in cold water, and cooled
- Fresh Italian Parsley for Garnish
- Homemade Red Sauce (use this recipe if you aren’t using a red jar sauce):*
- 1 can (28 ounces) Marzano Crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 tablespoon Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Dry Italian Seasoning
- 1/3 cup red wine
- Combine all the ingredients listed for the Sweet Potato and Sausage Manicottis. Set Aside.
- Combine all ingredients listed for Sausage and Ricotta Manicottis. Set Aside.
- Make Walnut cream sauce: In medium saucepan, heat olive oil to medium- low, and then add garlic. Cook until just starting to turn light brown. Add walnuts. Stir in heavy cream and sour cream. Add Parmesan and stir until combined well. Stir in basil and salt and pepper. Cook over low until slightly thickened.
- Preheat oven 325°F. Spray 2 square baking dishes with non-stick spray. Fill half the package of manicottis with the sweet potato sausage filling, laying those in one of the baking dishes. Pour the walnut cream sauce over them, reserving 1 cup of the sauce.
- Repeat with the rest of the Manicottis, filling them with the sausage ricotta filling and place in the 2nd baking dish. Pour red sauce over the middle of manicottis, reserving at least 1 cup sauce. Arrange Munster Cheese slices down the middle of manicottis. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil from the one dish, and continue baking an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Take out sweet potato and sausage manicottis; stir any pooled sauce that has separated on the sides.
- To serve pour a little of the red sauce on plate, and place the sausage and ricotta manicotti on it. Place the sweet potato and sausage manicotti next to it, and pour some of the reserved walnut cream sauce over the top. Garnish with a few Italian parsley leaves. Sweet, savory, nutty, creamy, acidic and rich with tomato! A match made in heaven!!
- *To make Homemade Red Sauce - Sauté onion in olive oil until transparent. Add garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the rest of red sauce ingredients and simmer on low for 2 hours.