National Grillmaster Search is On!
As Johnsonville prepares for its 22nd year going cross country grilling and serving its sausage products, it first needs its next Grillmaster. Ryan Allison – who had served in this role for five years – decided to retire from the road but is helping Johnsonville in its nationwide search for the right candidate to serve as a senior field manager on an 8-month tour. (Hear Ryan's description of the role in the video below).
The Johnsonville Grillmaster assists with footprint and event management, charity relations, media relations, grilling and serving brats wherever the 53,000-pound Big Taste Grill travels across the continental U.S., between March and November. During any one season, more than 130,000 Johnsonville brats are grilled and served at more than 100 different venues – from retail to large-scale events.
Johnsonville is seeking someone who is:
- Exceptionally energetic and outgoing;
- Comfortable working with large audiences, getting the crowd engaged during the many festivals, professional and local sporting events, that the Big Taste Grill attends;
- Not shy being on camera, conducting media interviews in the various markets the Big Taste Grill is in;
- Multi-task oriented – from grilling brats, to training local volunteers to help serve on the Grill and communicating the brand in action via various social media channels;
- Responsible to serve as the face of the Johnsonville brand.
Perks of the Johnsonville Grillmaster position:
- Road Trip! Travel the country in very mobile office, visiting local landmarks and festivals along the way!
- Make a difference. Each Big Taste Grill event benefits a local charity by providing the proceeds from an event for important causes.
- Never go hungry. Working on a grill capable of searing 2,500 brats in an hour means there’s always something cooking so stomachs are never rumbling!
- Become a TV star. As the face of the Big Taste Grill, the Grillmaster turns “Bratcaster” as he/she is invited nearly every week by media outlets to share some sausage-grilling advice, samples and information about the event.
- Tell stories. There’s always opportunity for videos, blogs, posts, tweets and anything else you can share about your day-to-day experiences with Johnsonville fans.
- Be a know-it-all. You’re the Grillmaster and your word is law when it comes to grilling brats.
- Work with an iconic brand. Over its 70 years in business, Johnsonville is a household name with passionate customers all over the world.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Candidates must be 21 or older and meet pre-employment and driving standards.
- Possess a bachelor’s degree, preferably in marketing, journalism, theater, or a related field.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Previous emcee/spokesperson experience.
- Previous touring and/or event marketing experience required.
- Ability to approach consumers and interact professionally with large groups and diverse personalities.
- Highly motivated, creative, and an engaging leader with the ability to effectively communicate with multiple personalities as well as part of a team.
- Previous food handling certification/experience preferred.
- Digital/Technological aptitude with the ability to operate basic electronic equipment (cell phone, computer, mobile devices, video camera).
- Familiarity with communicating on social media platforms.
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions, performing multiple time-sensitive tasks efficiently.
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds.
- Ability to travel continuously on the road for the8-month program.
- Properly complete the application process and submit required materials.
The hired candidate will be an employee of GMR Marketing LLC, the experiential marketing agency for Johnsonville Sausage and managers of the Big Taste Grill tour.
For more information and to apply, please visit http://bit.ly/1VbhvYW