Beat the Morning Meltdown
Ways to prepare family for the day ahead
Mornings can be mayhem for parents. In fact, according to the Johnsonville Sausage Report, nearly half of moms say that mornings can be so hectic that most days everyone in the family needs to fend for themselves for breakfast.
One mom who is all too familiar with handling hectic mornings is Elisa All, founder of 30Second Mobile, a mobile website and app that keeps busy moms “in the know while on the go.”
All says it’s about planning ahead and powering up for the busy day ahead. “The kitchen in the morning can be chaotic if you don’t have everything lined up the night before,” All said. “I love serving my family a hot, balanced breakfast, and, it’s a lot easier than many people think. Johnsonville just introduced fully cooked breakfast sausage, which is easy to warm up in the microwave for 30 seconds, and powers kids up with protein to get them through the morning.”
Here are her top 10 Morning “Hacks:”
1) Stage a "path" to the door the night before so everyone knows where they’re going.
2) Select kids’ outfits at night. Be sure to check weather in advance and plan accordingly.
3) Pack lunches ahead of time. After dinner, pack the non-chilled items in the lunchbox and leave it on the counter for quick packing of the chilled things in the morning.
4) Brush teeth and wash face in the morning shower, or take baths the night before.
5) Sunshine helps you wake up. Open the shades and let the light in.
6) Make breakfast easy by keeping tasty foods on hand. Johnsonville’s new, fully cooked breakfast links – in Original Recipe, Turkey and Vermont Maple Syrup – help you give your family a wholesome and high quality, warm meal in 30 seconds.
7) Place jackets and backpacks in a central location to grab on the way out. Use a hanging shoe organizer with pockets to keep essentials and accessories by the door.
8) Reward with what works for your child, for example, electronics and other activities they get to do in the car.
9) Motivate and track time with a music playlist. Everything is more fun and moves more quickly with tunes, and you can track how much time has passed.
10) Care for yourself. Have a workout bag in the car and consider getting up earlier to have some personal time before the day gets going.
With these ideas in mind, you’ll be ready for whatever the day brings. And one more idea: a mobile breakfast in a coffee mug that’s microwave-ready and will have you out the door in minutes (see recipe below).
View these morning hacks and more at Johnsonville’s Pinterest page and learn how you can enter to win free groceries for a month and other prizes in Johnsonville’s :30 Second Morning Hack Sweepstakes.
HOW TO ENTER the :30 Second Morning Hacks Sweepstakes:
During the Sweepstakes Period (August 25-Oct. 3, 2014), visit the Johnsonville page on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/JohnsonvilleKitchens, click the “Sweepstakes” tab, and follow the directions to do one of the following
(a) play the Johnsonville 30 seconds to pin game and then click the button to complete the provided entry form to receive one (1) entry; or
(b) click the “skip” button to skip the game and proceed to complete the entry form to receive one (1) entry.
Please note: Playing the Pinterest 30 seconds to pin game is optional and will not increase or decrease your chances of winning a prize. All entries will have an equal chance of winning. If you choose to play the game, a Pinterest account is required. If you do not have a Pinterest account, you may create an account for free at www.pinterest.com.
All pins submitted in connection with the Johnsonville 30 seconds to pin game must include the hashtag #Johnsonville #MorningHacks. Limit of one (1) entry per person using only one (1) Facebook account throughout the Sweepstakes Period, regardless of method of entry. Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means or by any other means which subvert the entry process are void. Entries received from any person or Facebook account in excess of the above stated limitation will be void.
Recipe: Wake Up Cups
You will be the envy of the carpool while enjoying this quick and easy omelet-in-a-cup. Don't like hashbrowns? Leave 'em out! Check out other delicious breakfast recipes.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 2 minutes
- 2 links Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Original Recipe or Turkey Breakfast Sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese
- Salsa, optional
1. Coat a 12-ounce microwave-safe coffee cup with cooking spray. Add hash browns. Microwave on high for 1 minute.
2. In a small bowl, combine the egg, milk, sausage and cheese; pour over hash browns. Stir until blended.
3. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds longer or until eggs are set. Serve with salsa if desired.
Sources: 2014 Johnsonville Sausage Report, 1,081 adults 18+ by Impulse Research